Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Political lols.



I found this political cartoon was very fitting of the theme of immigration and integration that comes up in our reading. The borders are growing thinner and the population gets larger; but what constitutes a legal US citizen is up to lots of debate.

Questions:
1.) Why do the words that the "Growing Hispanic Population" says have deeper meaning within this cartoon?
2.) Is there a reason why the two people are represented differently? Do their ages/genders/ethnicities have any meaning?
3.) Does the composition of the cartoon have any affect on the way it's taken in by the reader?

1 comment:

  1. 1) I don't really know anything about what this cartoon means...I think that makes me politically illiterate, but I can give a go on what I think might be the response to your first question. It might have some meaning to do with the illegal immigration and how there are a lot of illegal immigrants coming from Cuba and Mexico. Deeper meaning? I don't know. I wish I had more insight, but maybe the "growing Hispanic population" is representing the overall growth of all the different ethnic groups in the U.S.

    Great questions :)

    ~Hope :)

    ReplyDelete