Thursday, September 22, 2011

Different strokes for different folks.

So for my government interview, I chose to ask my mom some questions on immigration and religion. She and I get along on most things, but when it comes to politics, she and I can tend to butt heads. But I can give you the gist of what we talked about.
Firstly, I asked her if she believed the immigrant population in this country was too high, even though I already knew her answer. It was a resounding yes, and she went on to talk about how she believes the southern border of our country should be closed completely, and that no other people should be able to get in from places like Mexico or Latin America, unless of course they apply for citizenship and go through all the proper tests. She argued that because our ancestors had to go through Hell on Ellis Island, all immigrants regardless of where they're from should still be subject to such conditions. I disagree with that last bit, but I do think that the US should make a bigger deal of illegal immigration, and only let people into the country who apply and achieve citizenship. It just makes much more sense.
On the topic of church and state, I asked my mom whether or not they should be totally separated. She said that they shouldn't be totally integrated, but she does like the fact that her religion can play a small part in her government. (I say "her religion" because my mom's a Christian, and they're usually the religion that's catered to in this country.) She takes comfort in the fact that the currency she uses says "In God We Trust" and that every time her children have to pledge their allegiance to the country they have to say, "one nation under God." I, on the other hand, am all for the complete separation of church and state. It makes me uncomfortable to think that the government that I find myself to be a part of affiliates heavily with a faith I don't believe in.
Immigration and religion just may be two things that we'll never completely agree on.

No comments:

Post a Comment