Thursday, September 22, 2011

History for the people, by the people.



So, as for the excerpt from Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States," I loved it. It was biting and didn't dance around the fact that the country was founded for rich people by rich people. He made some excellent points, especially at the end when he noted that the founding fathers discluded half of the American population when they were writing up the Constitution - America's women. I may just have been all about that because I'm a feminist, but he still made an excellent point. It's been a sad story for women and minorities in this country since the very beginning, and only relatively recently have things gotten any better; within the past hundred years or so, women and black people have gotten the rights to vote. That took way too long.
As far as questions go, I would love to know here he got all of his sources. And I also wonder if people ever view him as too cynical? I can see how they would. And does he think that we should follow the Constitution with a loose construction or strong construction? My guess would probably be loose. Very loose indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment